|
Hi Joseph:
Tough assignment, trying to determine which
states are covered on this "Nueva Galicia" map. The boundries are
not well defined.
I'll give it a try. The map covers the area
of Mexico from about 23 degrees North latitude to about 18 degrees North
latitude. If you look at a modern map of Mexico, you'll see the following
States are inside this area: Nayarit, southern part of Sinaloa, Jalisco,
Michoacan, Guerrero, Southern part of Zacatecas, Aguascalientes, Mexico,
Guanajuato, Veracruz, San Luis Potosí and I probably missed a
couple.
I have a book that shows a map of Nueva Galicia
in the XVI century. It defines the area sorrounded by these places:
(Starting in the South and going clock-wise ) Queretaro, Guadalajara,
El Teúl, Colotlan, Durango, Cuencamé, Parras, Saltillo, Ciudad Valles.
Inside the area are: Guanjuato, Jalostotitlan, Zacatecas, and San Luis
Potosi. You got to remember that La Nueva Galicia expanded from here
in later years. I am sure there are later maps that include a bigger area,
especially to the West and North.
Iam sure some other member can shine a
brighter light on this subject.
John Gonzalez
Wildomar, CA
|